The Victorian Clinical Genetics Services (VCGS) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute (MCRI). VCGS laboratories provide screening and diagnostic laboratory services to the people of Victoria, Tasmania and other sites that choose to use our services.
Our scientists have expertise in cytogenetics, molecular genetics, biochemical genetics, mitochondrial genetics and tissue culture. They provide a first rate diagnostic service in fully accredited laboratories and many are involved in research and development activities.
Our scientists work in close collaboration with the geneticists and genetic counsellors as well as the research scientists in the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute. The diagnostic laboratories of VCGS are located within the Royal Children's Hospital in Parkville Melbourne.
All VCGS laboratories achieved renewed NATA accreditation in 2013 to the
standard AS/ISO 15189. Ms Anne Robertson is the designated Laboratory Quality Assurance
To be an internationally recognised centre of excellence in clinical and laboratory
To provide accessible clinical and laboratory genetic services of the highest standard
to the people of Victoria, and to others outside the State who seek our services,
with a commitment to excellence in research and education.
(these being the means through which the mission is achieved):
- To work with our strategic partners to provide excellent clinical and laboratory
diagnosis and counselling services to people of all ages
- To support the rights of our clients and patients to make informed choices in their
own health care
- To act in advocacy for our clients and patients
- To provide a supportive environment for our staff, and to encourage their professional
- To be leaders in genetic education and training
- To actively participate in translational research and development of new tests,
technologies and genetic knowledge for the benefit of our clients and patients
- To keep our operations well administered, and on a sound financial footing