cystic fibrosis carrier screening & diagnostic
This test is a genetic screen to identify if you are a carrier of cystic fibrosis and is available to order and pay online.
You must have a completed doctors request form to order this test.
The cost of this test is AUD$212.50.
Patients may be eligible for a Medicare rebate, if:
- they present with symptoms of cystic fibrosis or CFTR* related disorder
- they have a close family history of cystic fibrosis (second cousin or closer)
- their reproductive partner is a carrier of cystic fibrosis
- their fetus shows ultrasonic evidence of echogenic gut.
For more information about eligibility or item numbers, please refer to the Medicare Benefits Schedule Book, 1 April 2019 (page 1171-1172) or contact us to discuss.
Did you know that cystic fibrosis carrier screening can be performed using saliva collection?
Saliva testing is:
- simple and painless
- suitable for any age group
- robust — stable for two months once taken
- exceptional quality.
Genetic counselling available
For more information about cystic fibrosis or to make an appointment with a genetic counsellor, email [email protected] or phone (03) 9936 6402.
Cystic Fibrosis Community Care
VCGS work in partnership with Cystic Fibrosis Community Care (CFCC) to raise awareness and improve access to genetic carrier screening. This collaboration ensures individuals and families considering or undergoing screening have access to high quality information and support Find our more at cfcc.org.au
* cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR)